Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 28, 2020 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammu View Post
Says on the bottle 1200mg fish oil and 360mg of omega oil. I got them at Walgreens when they had a buy one get one free sale. I get a lot of my otc stuff from there when they have the bogo sales.
I have not taken OTC fish oil supplements for about 8 years now, and have no desire to restart them. Prior to that, I took OTC Nature's Bounty fish oil, their highest dose that was the same as Nammu mentions above (1200 mg with 360 mg Omega-3 fatty acids comprising of EPA, DHA, and other fatty acids). For some months I took 3 pills per day, as directed on the bottle. I guess then you just multiply the numbers above by 3. Then I decided to reduce it to just 2 of the pills per day. I continued that for at least another year.

Frankly, the fish oil I took above, did little to nothing for me. It didn't even seem to help my triglycerides, which fish oils supposedly should help. I was taking it mostly during a period of mild to severe depression. It definitely didn't elevate my mood in any way.

I won't say what others should or shouldn't do, but as for me, the only time I'd ever try fish oil again is if it is prescription grade. Then, I'd give that a chance.I have read that prescription versions are a bit different and have more of an efficacy (for cardiovascular issues) than the OTC. I think I only know of one person who took prescription fish oil for bipolar disorder and I believe it was the brand Lovaza. I forget that person's full opinion on it.

For the time being, I'm just going to eat more salmon and tuna. Fish tastes good! I ate some tuna yesterday.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Nammu

Thanks for this!
*Beth*