LilyMop
Veteran Member

Member Since Sep 2019
81 hugs
given
Default Jul 30, 2020 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Hope View Post
I agree 100% with your therapist's suggestions. They are all excellent suggestions, and I think it will really help you to follow them.

From what I know from all your threads and posts, you do take on too much responsibility at work and out of kindness and wanting to help out, which is admirable, but it's hurting you. And it's healthy to realize and know that that's not your job.

You know, one thing I personally realized? Most people do not work that hard. Most people work only just enough so as not to get fired. I am nearly 50, and this is what I've witnessed over and over again at a number of workplaces.

So, you don't need to make up for other people's lack of work ethic. You have a very strong work ethic, as do I, so I can relate, but it's not your responsibility to make up where others lack.

And, you know what else I've learned?

Is that while on the one hand, friendships certainly CAN happen and blossom at work, generally speaking, people at work are not your friends. People are at work ultimately to earn a living, to make ends meet and to look out for themselves. Many people are far too self absorbed in their own lives, and many people are far more selfishly oriented. It's the rare person who thinks outside themselves all the time. And I see you as being that rare kind of person.

And no, it's not your job to make everyone happy at work. That's a great lesson to learn and to take away with you.

If you start viewing your job from a different light -- like, this is where I work, I am not here to create new friendships necessarily, I am here to make a living. I have limits and boundaries, and I don't need to take on more than I can, and I am not here to make others happy - I just need to make myself and my boss happy - that's a healthy perspective to maintain.

Hugs to you.

PS. I like your therapist!

Thank you. I really appreciate the feedback you’ve given me these past few days. I view you as someone who is a straight shooter and doesn’t say things you don’t mean.

I’m fortunate to have finally found a good therapist. She really has helped me so much. It took years to finally find someone but I know part of the problem was me not being fully ready to face many things.

I’ll keep taking her advice. The nice thing about social distancing is nobody questions that you keep to yourself a lot these days.

Somebody asked me to do something today that has nothing to do with my job responsibilities and I just played dumb so they went away. I’m doing that quite a bit lately. I just say I don’t know. It still feels weird and like I am being a bit rude but it also feels better at the same time. I’m definitely helpful to the coworkers who always pitch in and help me... like my counselor says, I’ll only put effort into the people who reciprocate.

You’re right, my own behavior was hurting me and I won’t do it anymore. Thank you.
LilyMop is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Have Hope

Thanks for this!
Have Hope