View Single Post
TishaBuv
Legendary

Member Since Dec 2014
1,879 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 02, 2020 at 08:36 AM

Hi @sunshinefl, I read a book called “Done With The Crying” by Sheri McGregor. i talk about it earlier in this thread. It was the saddest book I ever read and cried through it. Many parents became estranged from their adult children with absolutely no explanation! The book focuses on how to move forward, live your life, and accept the estrangement. Some parents never give up hope and wanting to try to repair and some do accept there is no hope.

In my situation, it was a rift to an otherwise wonderful relationship. We are no longer estranged, but the relationship is careful and minimal. I know it was due to his allegiance to a person he placed above and beyond all others, including his family. Only time will tell how this goes. I feel greatly better to at least be on speaking terms and empathize with the intense pain your friend and others in the same position feel.

My take on estrangement is that it seems to be a fairly common, acceptable choice right now; almost a movement. I can see it as a last resort with an extremely abusive parent, but there are thousands of good parents who are on the receiving end right now.

You are a good friend to reach out to help him. He is fortunate to have you.