Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,263 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 02, 2020 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD7970GHZ View Post
I like this! Very well thought out discussion.

Saying no is hard after living in an abusive environment that instills toxic shame. Breaking these patterns is next to impossible in a world where people often expect yes, especially from us sensitive, empathic types.

Thanks,
HD7970ghz
Thanks, HD! Yes, even after posting this, I'm still struggling. I said yes to a last minute job from an unknown client and that was not a good decision. Fortunately it's over now. I put post-its above my computer monitors that say "Say No!" So I remember to set boundaries with things that I cannot do.

The idea of being empathic always struck me as a silly notion. (Sorry, not meant to offend anyone who subscribes to that notion.) And while I don't really subscribe to the whole idea of there being "empaths", I do think that some of us pick up on other people's emotions more instinctively, and are more affected by those emotions. I don't think it's a special power. I think it's a honed muscle. I know that I tend to overly-identify with how other people feel, and sometimes get pulled into saying "yes" to things I don't want to, because of my empathy for that person. When one of my friends wants to vent late at night (not in crisis), and I need to sleep, I can find it hard to say no, because I feel strongly for them. But it's not just with friends, I tend to identify with how other people feel and want to help more than is healthy. Setting boundaries is crucial.

However, in setting boundaries, I have found that it can show you who is "safe" and who is not. For example, I didn't require this last minute client to do a phone call with me before accepting the work. That was a big mistake. If I had set my boundary and they refused, so I declined the work, I would be spared the small amount of discomfort at the close of this contract (it was just weird all around). But that red flag - I kept asking for a call and getting ignored, told me what I needed to know. And despite my empathy for them wanting to meet their deadline, I put myself at their mercy by accepting the work.

Like I said, no is a complete sentence.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous41006, HD7970GHZ, Open Eyes, WovenGalaxy

Thanks for this!
Quietmind 2, WovenGalaxy