View Single Post
SunflowerWannabe

Member Since Jan 2020
Default Aug 03, 2020 at 03:15 AM

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice/feedback from anyone who has had EMDR over a relatively short period.

I was diagnosed with CPTSD three years ago, and 5 weeks ago finally began therapy - 16 weeks of EMDR. I wasn't told in advance what the therapy would be so had assumed it would be talking therapy.

The therapist told me at the start that I would get a maximum of sixteen weeks, so had to get through as much as possible in that time. So without really talking about the multiple traumas I've lived through, she had me make a list (23 separate trauma events) and start doing EMDR sessions on each trauma, basically one a week.

From what I've read this is beyond wrong - these sessions are leaving me traumatised and anxious afterwards. I feel like talking things through would be better and am now dreading each session, and wishing it was all over. Today's session is about domestic abuse, I really can't process 14 years of horrendous abuse in a session or two.

Had anyone else experienced EMDR in such a short timeframe? I'm really trying my best to give it a good shot, but feel like she just wants the right answer - when I'm honest she sighs and makes me start again.

Thanks in advance.

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear, Taylor27