View Single Post
Open Eyes
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
21.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 03, 2020 at 09:10 PM

Hi Sunflower, I do a therapy that’s like EMDR. I revisit an event that traumatized me while watching my therapist move his hand back and forth and he does that a couple times. Then he has me go back and change things about that event allowing me to have more power and control of the event or person

My therapist mentioned that I may notice more during the revisit but I found not only was I exhausted the next day but recalled more details after the session.

While the therapy I do is based on EMDR it’s more and this therapy is called Accelerated Resolution Therapy.

I think what you are doing is just revisiting traumas and iMHO without being able to go in and do things that empower you I think you are left with just the trauma.

Rem when we sleep and process is meant to take our experiences and connect them to the problem solving and filing part of our brain. So that is what the eye movement is meant to do.

The reason the therapist is discouraging talking about these traumas is that it is felt that the patient begins to get worked up and could be retraumatizing themselves by discussing the traumas.
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote