Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 05, 2020 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyDinosaur View Post
I take benzos for anxiety and sleep (mostly Lorazepam 2mg). I want to avoid physical dependence and cognitive issues, so I try to take them as little as possible, but that's hard lately. My Pdoc suggested taking them every other day to prevent dependence, which I'm currently doing, but I wonder if that's good enough in the long run. In your experience, will that cause issues?
It's hard to say for you. I think it can vary by person. I do think your concern is good and trying to not take it, when possible, is helpful.

I have had Ativan as a PRN for several years now. There was a period when I was taking more than I should have. I was able, at that time, to wean off of it without that much distress. However, some years later I had taken 1 to 2 mg daily for a couple years. That was a little more difficult to get off of, but I did it. Slow weaning off was important for me, so that I didn't experience bad withdrawals.

Is it possible for you to eventually get down to 1 mg per day? Or 1 mg every other day? Perhaps that may be enough to achieve what you need from it.

I have taken a small dose of Klonopin daily for about 9 years now. My psychiatrist said that is particularly difficult to get off of after long-term use. I think it is likely that Ativan is easier for many people, but others may disagree.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi

Thanks for this!
FluffyDinosaur