View Single Post
FluffyDinosaur
Grand Member

Member Since Nov 2019
31 hugs
given
Default Aug 09, 2020 at 03:12 AM

I think it's worth talking to your therapist and/or Pdoc about it and involve them in the decision. It's a tricky question, there are things to be said for and against doing it.

I do think that a safe home will do a lot to prevent the bipolar genes from expressing themselves too severely. The estimates are that BD is up to about 70% genetic, that still leaves 30% environmental, so there's some good you can do there. At least that's my hope.

My current dx is bipolar 2 and I have three kids. I'm glad I have them, but I have to say the stress and lack of sleep are definitely not good for my stability. Luckily my wife is very stable. As long as at least one parent is stable, I think there's probably a way to make it work.

I will say that if you really do have bpd, then you owe it to your kids to go into treatment and stay in treatment for that, just as well as for BD. I was raised by a bpd mother, and let's just say it was no fun at all. Many bpd people don't realize that their behavior is not normal unless they explicitly work on it in therapy. Whereas bipolar is mostly genetic, borderline is transferred from generation to generation mostly by the way you treat your kids, starting from day one.

Last edited by FluffyDinosaur; Aug 09, 2020 at 03:31 AM..
FluffyDinosaur is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous41462, bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist, Diamondlette