Quietmind 2
Poohbah

Member Since Jan 2020
8 hugs
given
Default Aug 09, 2020 at 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottrustin View Post
I have been struggling with this for a while. As my kids are all now adults I have wondered my purpose career wise. However, T and many other people remind me our purpose doesn't need to be a career. Both my biological parents come from abusive homes. My siblings sadly have raised their children in abusive homes. My Ts remind me that my purpose and greatest accomplishment in life will likely always be that my husband and I have broken the cycle.

We have raised three amazing compassionate children in a loving, stable and safe home. Part of doing that for me meant facing my demons and dealing with my own past in very painful ways. My therapist helped me navigate parenting when I thought I was not good enough. I always told T she helped me be the parent I wanted to be but wasn't sure how.

I also have been part of religious retreat for a few years. During them I have shared with the women about my painful childhood and teen years and how it effected who I am to and my journey to be where I am today.. While it was quite healing for me, it gave multiple women the courage to speak up for the first time about the horrible abuse they dealt with. For many there was so much shame that they never told anybody before, most were much older than myself. They felt such freedom in knowing they were not alone and at least telling one person. Hearing their stories and knowing that I could ne even a small part of their healing was amazing. Before therapy I had never told another person about my abuse never never mind a room of 45 other people.

So I guess, my for me therapy showed me that perhaps my real purpose is to to be kind, loving and an example to others that we are never too damaged or hurt or be a food person.

Thank you OP for the question I needed it today.
I feel self conscious writing this (social anxiety) but your post kinda shows me what my journey is becoming....

I entered therapy for anxiety believing I was broken and needed fixing with judgement, condemnation and advice

(due to my life experiences of abuse and parents' forcing me into exorcism and a certain kind of religious counselling, stigma and ignorance about mental health as I'm Asian)

but was met with my first experiences of non judgmental acceptance, empathy and compassion.

I now believe my life's work for now is to break the generational cycle of abuse, trauma, neglect etc in both my family lines.
Quietmind 2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, nottrustin

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Lostislost, nottrustin