View Single Post
Litbyfireflies

Member Since Aug 2020
Default Aug 09, 2020 at 12:10 PM

Hi, I would like feedback on something that commonly happens to me, to see how I can do better or help me feel resolve for my ways. After spontaneous social interaction, I often feel I have seriously offended someone or made a fool of myself.
I'm a happy, satisfied person, and introverted. I just like being happy and quiet.

Example 1.
I'm in a doctor's waiting room, reading. Someone I've never seen before comes into the room and says"I can't believe how red your face is!" I close the book, look at them, smile and say very nicely "yesterday I spent the day at the beach". Pause, I'm open to whatever they might say, smiling politely with eye contact.
She repeats herself I can't believe how red your face is!" And I just kind of giggle politely. Pause, still smiling and open to whatever she is getting at.
Then she says "I'm surprised the rest of you isn't red too" and I look to my sunburned arm and say with a little laugh "my arms are red, too", still smiling and open to the connection.
Then she repeats herself again "I can't believe how red your face is" and I smile sincerely again and say "I think being in the water intensifies the sunburn potential".
She is visibly frustrated and says "see you later" and goes to leave, and I smile and say very friendly, "bye".

This happens so often that I feel there is something wrong with me, that I'm a sociopath or something. I would like to know if what I did is generally accepted as socially acceptable, or am I way off track?
Litbyfireflies is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Skeezyks