View Single Post
Open Eyes
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
21.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 11, 2020 at 10:48 AM

It used to be that you could get dressed nice and go into a company and ask to submit an application (now there are other methods to self promote). Yet, that isn't as helpful as with the social distancing a lot of people are working remotely so that important personal presence dynamic isn't there. Also, due to the economic down turn a lot of companies are cutting back. It's true that recruiters are basically just sales people and they tend to say there is a job opening when in reality there isn't but they want to get you hooked. I have a friend that was a recruiter and listening to how that works from her side of the equation was very eye opening.

Someone I know got their job through networking and got job offers due to someone in a company knowing them and suggesting them as a good fit for a job opening and how that person would do well in the company due to being very productive and professional and having the right personality that would be a good fit. So a lot of jobs are filled by recomendations from within a company itself which is nothing someone not knowing anyone within a company can really compete with. Yet, now with the cut backs taking place, most people have been quiet and are not doing much in the way of recommending. It's not unusual to not get feedback or call backs right now. I am saying this only so you don't get depressed thinking you are not good enough because it's more about the overall job market. Also, from what I am hearing, a lot of people are nervous about their own jobs so they tend to be thinking more about themselves right now. Recruiters won't tell you that, as they need flow themselves and yes they tend to say there are jobs when there aren't. Yup, as always it's a number's game and with so many out of work companies have a very large pool to pick from and they know they can pay less too, so often jobs available are not paying as much as they used to.
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote