View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 11, 2020 at 02:02 PM

I agree with Miguel'smom that having children is always a choice. Do you want another child? Really want another one? Or is having another child something that's more "Most people have two or more, so should I have another?" If the former is an absolute "Yes", then I hope you strongly consider having another. If the latter is the case, maybe consider not.

I'm chiming in as a woman who never had children. My husband never had children, either. We're both beyond the ages of having any. I never had an overwhelming urge for kids, and neither did my husband. I suppose I thought of it briefly at around 28 years old, but at that time I was so into my career that that came first. Then, I started to become sicker and sicker. I drank heavily, then when my hospitalizations started, they came like a steady stream. Then I had to go on disability, and there was barely enough money for my husband and me to get by (still living where we do), let alone adding another mouth to feed. I certainly wasn't in any mental state back then to cut down on or eliminate my bipolar medications. If I had mentioned wanting children to my psychiatrist back then, he probably would have gasped. But that was me. I have no regrets, believe me. I do not cry on my pillow wishing I had had children. But I know some people would/do. In those cases, they should consider having them (more).

I do agree that people should consider more than themselves when having a child. After all, a child does deserve the best situation, possible. But that doesn't mean perfect situation, by any stretch. Love is many times more valuable than other offerings. As long as love was/is offered, it could surely be worth it. I'm glad to have my life. If my parents knew, beforehand, that I would go on to develop bipolar disorder, do I think they shouldn't have had me? No, I'm glad they did, despite my challenges.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous41462, bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist