View Single Post
rdgrad15
Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
199 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 11, 2020 at 02:18 PM

Does anyone else agree that being at work makes you behave in a way that you normally not act outside of work or, in general, have to act in a way that is not your true self? I know that there are boundaries and professionalism is expected at work, but I know some work environments make you practically change your personality for a certain number of hours each day.

Even at interviews, I'm sure everyone has given the interviewer an answer they want to hear. No one is going to admit a true personal weakness especially if it may hinder their ability of getting a job. And at work, you're basically expected to not show emotion or at least hide the fact that something is upsetting you. Nothing personal can be brought into the work place since it's seen as unprofessional.

I never tell my coworkers how I'm truly feeling. I don't trust them to begin with since they're very gossipy but when they ask me how things are, I always say very good. Similar to how you would never tell a stranger how you are truly feeling when they ask you out of obligation when starting a conversation, especially on the phone. I force myself to be more talkative at work when I need to be, even though outside of work I don't talk unless I'm approached by someone and they take the initiative to talk first. Also if I'm upset about something, even work related, I keep it to myself.

Also I've had friends admit that they act different at work too and that they would never want to see their coworkers outside of work and would never consider them friends. I wouldn't consider mine friends. Also I've heard a coworker tell someone that, while at work, she doesn't mind talking to coworkers, but outside of work, she wants nothing to do with anyone. Which I totally understand. Unfortunately work can be a very fake environment. Does anyone else feel like they have to be someone they're not while at work? It seems like this is the norm in the workplace.
rdgrad15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote