View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
Default Aug 16, 2020 at 08:37 AM

Hi Fern. I would definitely tell your doctor asap, but please don't panic about the twitching.

I don't know if the twitching you describe is related to Geodon. Or if it is in any way related to TD. My guess on the latter is no, but again I am not qualified to say. From what I have read and seen in videos on TD, the twitching is different from the one I'm imagining you have. Again, my interpretation of what you describe may not be accurate.

Throughout some of my life, especially in my youth, I had an occasional twitch under my eye that could last for a few minutes at a time, though I don't recall it lasting all day. It felt very weird. Almost ticklish. I, and others, could literally see the pulsing-like twitch. Mine was mostly just below or at my lower eye lid, though less frequently on the upper. To this day, I have no idea what caused that, but it wasn't meds. I didn't take any back then.

If at worst what you describe is TD, it need not be permanent. Permanent is a worst case scenario. Changing or stopping antipsychotics can stop TD. You must know that 2nd generation antipsychotics, like Geodon, have a much lower risk of TD than 1st generation APs. Plus, I know that 20 mg Geodon is the smallest possible dose of Geodon, outside of a compounded lower dose. I took 160 mg for a good seven years. I don't recall the twitch I describe during that period. If I had it, I likely ignored it as I did in my youth, but again, I don't recall the twitch lasting hours.

Again, do contact your doctor.

The following relatively innocent, and not uncommon, twitching is likely what I used to experience. I've read it could potentially last up to days or even "a few weeks" . See Myokymia Wikimedia page.
Eyelid Twitching | Causes | Treatment and here's a video, though I used to think mine was even more visible
Also see "fasciculation", which seems to be almost the same.

This is what I have always learned is TD (last video on page is related to eyes, though more blinking than twitching):
What Is Tardive Dyskinesia (TD)? | INGREZZA(R) (valbenazine) capsules

Only once did I have a concerning involuntary movement attributed to a medication. I had involuntary lip puckering. I told my psychiatrist quickly and he believed it to be a dystonia (a type of dyskinesia). He immediately lowered my dose of Navane (Thiothixene), a 1st generation antipsychotic, and the lip puckering stopped. I was eventually taken off that medication.

Last edited by Soupe du jour; Aug 16, 2020 at 10:04 AM..
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist