Community Liaison

Member Since Jul 2011
12.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 23, 2020 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
Well, quite honestly, in regards to articles/blogs on Psych Central, I think DocJohn was wise to sell. PC as a resource for articles was unwieldy to manage, I'm sure. In previous posts I recall DocJohn saying that there is no editorial review of the content on the Psych Central articles and blogs, and I often found articles written by people claiming to be credible, but were not only inaccurate but completely biased (I'm thinking about an article about how terrible Millenials are and another about how DID is a sham). I'm definitely in favor of a shift on the content on that side of the site having more editorial review so that people are actually getting accurate information and not spreading misperceptions about mental illness. With DocJohn's limited staff and resources that was obviously impossible, hopefully HealthLine can do even better. I view that side of things very positively.

The forums and chat are on separate servers from the "news and information" side of the site, as I understand it. I highly doubt DocJohn will allow the forum to simply shut down without warning. Also, HealthLine's competitors, such as Patients Like Me, also have forums, so I think it's in their best interest to keep this forum active as well. The biggest difference and concern I see is that this forum may become open to research/data collection, where it was previously research free.

I really do think that while a transition is going to occur, in the end the PC news site will be more reliable, and I do not think the forums will shut down. PC would be losing a large market share by shutting this forum down, since their competitors all have forums.

So, I think we all need to take a deep breath and trust DocJohn a bit. He's done right by us all for over 20 years. I don't think he's going to let his community down and just walk away. We are going to see changes, yes, and some of us may not like them, but I think this is just a growth spurt, so to speak, and we may have some growing pains.

Thank you ... this is exactly how I feel..

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, lizardlady, seesaw