View Single Post
guy1111

Member Since Apr 2018
Default Aug 24, 2020 at 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughcooki View Post
That's good advice, thank you. It is all soooooo overwhelming. I don't even know where to start, lol. My therapist is going to try me with EMDR once she has an opening, but.... what it seems like is the VA (I'm a veteran) is all about treating the appearance of the symptoms. Learn how to act like other people, basically. Not - learn why you feel the way you feel, and what's causing your different issues, and then pick out a thread and start untangling.... Nope. They're more like, 'if you wash the thread multiple times, it'll become a firm mass, which you can wrap around your foot, and call a sock.'
People have different opinions on EMDR. It works great for me. My first thoughts were like yours. It sounds like some kind of mind control numbing process. The work is actually all you. You process your own feelings however you need to. The therapist just basically interrupts you every few minutes and you tell them what you are thinking, then tells you to continue. Watch some youtube or research it. Be careful, it is very intense! You MUST have a good therapist who can help keep you grounded. They should be teaching you some calming techniques before you get started. It will bring up whatever ugly memories you may have. You will feel like you are experiencing them in real life. But if you can stick with it, you get some really quick relief that is permanent, in my opinion. Good luck!
guy1111 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Open Eyes, Toughcooki

Thanks for this!
Toughcooki