View Single Post
Toughcooki

Member Since Jul 2020
247 hugs
given
Default Aug 24, 2020 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1111 View Post
People have different opinions on EMDR. It works great for me. My first thoughts were like yours. It sounds like some kind of mind control numbing process. The work is actually all you. You process your own feelings however you need to. The therapist just basically interrupts you every few minutes and you tell them what you are thinking, then tells you to continue. Watch some youtube or research it. Be careful, it is very intense! You MUST have a good therapist who can help keep you grounded. They should be teaching you some calming techniques before you get started. It will bring up whatever ugly memories you may have. You will feel like you are experiencing them in real life. But if you can stick with it, you get some really quick relief that is permanent, in my opinion. Good luck!
Well, hopefully it works for me as well. Haven't met a therapist yet who spent time on any calming techniques. One did tell me that if I start having a panic attack, I can put a bag of frozen peas over my eyes and lean over -and that actually did help, lol!
Hopefully my brain's capable of processing things when it comes to the point. When I tried the prolonged exposure therapy, I just had the same reaction every time. No matter how many times we went over the memory. Therapist got annoyed with me, and transferred me to someone else, haha!
Toughcooki is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Open Eyes