View Single Post
KBMK

Member Since Aug 2020
612 hugs
given
Default Aug 25, 2020 at 04:40 PM

I was doing quite well overcoming social anxiety and trust issues. Going to a poetry circle, and volunteering at festivals was a big part of it...being around generous people with a common goal...working together. Since lockdown it has resurfaced and I've had difficulty with some things I would have had no problem doing, such as calling the garage to book repairs on my van. I also have become wary of people on the street. I got a bit of insight in therapy today. Well I realised that I am guarded and looking for signs that people might hurt me the way I've been hurt in the past. I think that probably is normal.
I wrote down some reasons for choosing friends: they help me celebrate my successes, encourage and support me in my endeavours, and offer comfort and kind words in troubled times...I do the same for them...
I can distance myself from people that steal my thunder, undermine my endeavours, and salt my wounds. I don't do those things.
I distance myself by leaving, asking them to leave, or might state that I don't appreciate them trying to steal my thunder, undermine my endeavours, or salt my wounds. I don't do those things.

It made me feel a bit more confident about what helps me, and what hurts.

Do you think your safe people have traits in common? Is there any specific behaviours that make you feel judged by unsafe people?
It might make it easier to be around strangers if its put into words instead of a big nameless fear. I hope you can build up some trust and feel safer in this big wide world K
KBMK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn, mote.of.soul, SprinkL3, Yzen

Thanks for this!
Breaking Dawn, SprinkL3, Yzen