View Single Post
JBear34

Member Since Aug 2020
Default Aug 28, 2020 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyinmyheart View Post
The answer to getting over feelings like these is to understand where they're coming from. One can certainly label them transference but that means they're coming from somewhere. Sometimes they come from the past, like reacting to T as if she's a parent, but sometimes the feelings are more about what you've disowned in yourself.

You say the attraction began after finding out your T was going on a driving trip, presumably alone? I wonder if you're attracted to something she represents, like her independence or courage in going on a trip alone? I believe that people are attracted or repelled to traits in others that we don't always recognise in ourselves. Could it be that you admire something about your T's character that you need for yourself? Maybe you're depressed because you don't feel you are the type of person she is? That is part of it for me.

In your shoes I would speak to T about what it might be that you're actually attracted to. It needs her to be very open in exploring this with you rather than brushing off your feelings. It's probably true that you're putting her on a pedestal but that's very normal in therapy and is usually a phase.
Thanks for your advice. Actually, my attraction started when I assumed she was taking this driving trip with a new man in her life. Made me very jealous that this man is going to have a romantic week with her (although, in reality, I have no idea who she is going with). The transference, I’m quite certain, comes from my frustration over my sexless marriage.
JBear34 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, LonesomeTonight