View Single Post
TicTacGo

Member Since Dec 2016
47 hugs
given
Default Aug 29, 2020 at 07:12 AM

Hi there.

I’m perhaps a little late to this, but have been told by the therapist that there are elements of this in how I interact with people.

From what I understand, the difference between this personality disorder and paranoid schizophrenia is the slightly different use of the word “paranoid”.
In schizophrenia, it is used to describe a break from reality which can be bizarre in nature. This may look something like believing a person/group/entity is out to cause harm.
In PPD, the “paranoia” can be more a misinterpretation of people’s intentions, so there is an element of thinking “that person wants to badmouth/hurt/deceive me”, but it is more how the person with PPD interprets an interaction than having all-consuming thoughts and beliefs that they are being harmed or that someone/something is set out to harm them. There isn’t psychosis in PPD per say, whereas psychosis is a big part of paranoid schizophrenia, but PPD may present as looking somewhat similar to psychosis. Patients with PPD may “ascribe malicious intent” as I’ve heard therapists say, which means they will suspect and be cautious of a person’s true intentions or motives, and this may appear abrasive or combative.

Check out MedCircle on YouTube, who have videos on PPD, as well as other personality disorders.

Hugs from:
TunedOut

Thanks for this!
TunedOut