View Single Post
Toughcooki

Member Since Jul 2020
247 hugs
given
Default Aug 30, 2020 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OftenReflective View Post
Hey there, I just wanted to mention that in my experience not every VA is equal, there are some real bad ones out there. It took me several attempts at finding a good therapist and psychiatrist I could trust a bit, in several moves and a lot of time. Also I was told by one of my therapists that we have the equivalent of a cat's brain worth of nerves in our body, below our brain. I think that is why stuff like EMDR works, like others here have said it's almost stored in the body, the body's memory.

EMDR did help me, but I had established some trust and still felt very vulnerable. The sessions were challenging for me, IDK if they are challenging for everyone. I have a lot more memories of my youth and my experiences overseas. I'm less reactive, and am less hyper-vigilant. I still have nightmares on occasion and still have insomnia at times. However I think along with a combination of correct medication, another process in itself, CBT and EMDR I have a lot of my symptoms lessened and function better. I came to these forums hoping to find some news that it gets even better, that I would be my old self, but it seems that a lot of ptsd cases are chronic. That is ok, just hard to swallow. Anyway, I really hope EMDR works for you too, though it's not the holy grail in my opinion. I also hope you find a good VA/therapist. Take care.
Thank you very much! I don't think there's such a thing as the holy grail for this mess, since each person is different. I asked a lady at the VA who was doing a PTSD group session whether it was possible to take longer than the 8 sessions or whatever per therapy type, since every concept in CPT, CBD, and so on are new to me, and I feel like I'd benefit from taking more time to really explore them and understand them. I've got a lifetime of dysfunction, and really had never even considered the concept that, for example, some people do not think that the world is a dangerous place. That blew my mind. She told me that studies show that people benefit most from 8 weeks and you can't argue with science, and that's what there is. And I'm welcome to do the 8 weeks, take time to practice on my own, and then come back for another 8 weeks, etc but I'm not going to be able to really focus just on one of the skills at a time with a therapist at the VA. But that's better than the other therapist that told me I'm taking up space another veteran needs and I need to just stop using up therapy slots and use the skills I have. I've gotten all kinds of materials to do at home, I'm just so disconnected from the world due to fear that I feel like I'd really benefit from being able to talk to someone non-threatening once a week about the skills, ask questions, and sort of make sure I'm not going astray. I don't know enough to even know what I don't know, if that makes sense.
Toughcooki is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
guy1111