View Single Post
TunedOut
Grand Poohbah

Member Since May 2019
6,984 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 03, 2020 at 12:27 AM

Ok, here is my general check in. During my last chemo they said I am developing anemia but the Human growth hormone shots I have been giving myself was keeping my white blood cell counts in the good zone. Makes sense because I am not coughing but do tire more easily. Also am getting a bit of numbing in my wrists, hands and feet. This is probably nerve damage from chemo but I assume it isn't permanent because it is an on and off thing and I once had nerve damage but recovered from it after about two years. Still taking lots of naps and ordered some grass fed beef spleen pills on Amazon for the anemia. I eat eggs and spinach everyday but eating steak everyday doesn't work for our food budget. Still do everything I did before (though my family does all the shopping for fresh groceries) but for shorter periods of time. For example, I am walking 2-3 miles a day (except for the two days after chemo) instead of 4.5 miles. I do shop online (think it is prudent to keep my pantry stocked during these strange times) and bought everyone their Christmas presents and more just in case. One item that got delayed (I missed the calls) was my gene testing but it is back on track. In a group conference I learned that about 10% of the people they test register positive for a gene mutation. If you don't have a gene mutation then they assume the primary cause of your cancer was environmental (of course, there could be a few gene mutations out there that they haven't yet identified, they said there are about 20 known gene mutations and if you have one you have a 50% chance of passing it down to your children/there is a 50% chance your sibling could have the same one.) Anyways, I won't speak anymore about the results of my genetic test because I feel like telling my genetic information is also speaking about my children's and siblings information too. I am interested to find out though and the results will effect future cancer screenings (many genetic mutations put you at higher risk for multiple kinds of cancer). My next chemotherapy is on September 8th. It will be the last of the "dual" chemo I am on then the next four will be a different type which is supposed to be less harsh and more of a "maintenance" kind of chemo. Then when that is finished, on to surgery after my blood counts are healthy enough.
TunedOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, Discombobulated, happysobercrafter, unaluna

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Discombobulated, happysobercrafter