View Single Post
TicTacGo

Member Since Dec 2016
47 hugs
given
Default Sep 04, 2020 at 07:52 AM

Hi there Elimatis.

I have read your post and the replies following it.

I cannot diagnose, or really give that much perspective other than what I have read in academic articles and learned through my own therapy.

I always understood NPD to be on the furthest end of the spectrum of narcissism. To some degree, many of us have traits of narcissism that may or may not constitute NPD. Just as MsLady has said, some with these traits may be able to acknowledge them and understand that they think and behave in a certain way, and be able to get help through therapy.
On the other hand, some with NPD are with little to no insight, and are therefore unlikely to seek help or even recognize the patterns they possess.

If you have doubts, it is absolutely okay to seek a second-opinion. I found it interesting that your psychiatrist diagnosed NPD, and don't get me wrong because I am certain there are psychiatrists that understand personality disorders, but many (if not most) are more trained in areas that link to their ability to prescribe meds, such as mood, anxiety and psychotic disorders.

Whatever the outcome, these traits/disorders are something you can work on.