View Single Post
Toughcooki

Member Since Jul 2020
247 hugs
given
Default Sep 08, 2020 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
I forgot to mention disputing the nasty accusations of the inner critic. If you have RA, then you are not lazy. You can be kind to yourself and tell that inner critic you can rest, maybe in the imaginary voice of the drill Sargent who would cut you some slack.

For me, I occasionally tell myself I am lazy and it doesn’t even both me. I laugh it off. I feel blessed to have the luxury of being able to be lazy if I want to. Productivity? Goals? Pshawwww!

For you, though, you feel a drive to ‘be all you can be’...an Army slogan that stuck?

My therapist told me to be kind to myself so I will be more kind to others. He guilted my inner voice to quiet! It’s a nice thought though and may work to help you treat yourself with more kindness.
Thank you I guess I have to learn how to talk back to the inner critic. I never learned how to talk back to anyone when I was a kid, the only acceptable answer was Yes Sir or Yes Ma'am and I'd better agree with whatever they said enthusiastically or else. My drive has always been to defy what my parents said about me. I was told I wouldn't even graduate high school bc I was so stupid I'd get pregnant and drop out. I graduated, joined the military, got married before getting pregnant - and ended up getting a graduate degree. I was told I would do drugs, get drunk, and generally be stupid.. I never did drugs, never drank in high school, etc. I could go on and on, but my whole goal was to prove them wrong.
So I think I'm still answering that inner critic by saying, "Look, I'll practically kill myself out here in the sun, putting up a fence, ignoring my pain, and I'll prove it, see how I'm not lazy?"
I literally want to cry at the idea of telling my critic that I have RA and I need to rest, and stop calling me lazy.

It's ridiculous, but I think I'm actually as afraid of my inner critic - a construct of my subconscious' imagination - as I was afraid of my parents when I was a little kid. Ugh. My brain is so frustrating.
Toughcooki is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
TishaBuv