View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 09, 2020 at 03:25 PM

Must admit that I am not thrilled about our accommodations in Barcelona. It's not Hubby's fault. The advertisement was misleading and the operators a pain in the ar**. The area is OK. We'll make it work. Maybe things will look slightly better tomorrow. I confess that when we arrived in Barcelona, I had my first anxious/frustrated rant of the vacation. I feel bad.

We went to a so-so restaurant nearby and ordered "large beers". Usually my husband drinks his and then half of mine. But to our surprise, the "large beers" were literally German Oktoberfest size steins, at least at the place we went. I drank maybe 1/4 of mine (too much for me). My husband drank all of his and the rest of mine. He got trashed and I almost had to lead him to where we're staying. Normally Czechs can handle a lot of beer (they're actually the biggest beer consumers in the world), but his Americanization has made his tolerance far lower. I'm not intoxicated, but feel a little reluctant to take my evening medications until the buzz wears off a bit. Hubby is long since asleep in the bed in his day clothes.

I truly understand very little Spanish and in the area we're at, there are no "tourist menus" in English. I guess there might be in the high tourist areas, but maybe not. In Spain right now, they are not offering physical menus. You have to scan a code with your smart phone and see it there, or simply pick something from the chalk board specials list. Of course I do know "Gracias" and when those beers came, I declared "Muy grande!" But the dish ingredients? None other than names/words most Americans would know. We do also know "alergia al ajo" (my husband has a dreaded garlic allergy, which is harder here than in France). France is many times easier for us both! We understand and speak a lot of French considering how long ago we finished our main studies. It's interesting how some places feel instantly more comfortable than others.

We're spending much more money than I hoped. Czech Republic should luckily be much less.

I just took my evening medications at 10:40 pm, instead of my usual 7 pm... and with yucky Barcelona tap water. We never made it to the supermercado (or whatever you call it). Hopefully I won't get the Spanish version of Montezuma's Revenge!

Last edited by Soupe du jour; Sep 09, 2020 at 03:56 PM..

Hugs from:
Anonymous41462, bpcyclist, Coolbreeze74, fern46, Fuzzybear, Innerzone, Nammu, Sunflower123, ~Christina

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist, Coolbreeze74, Nammu, Sunflower123, ~Christina