View Single Post
*Beth*
catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 10, 2020 at 08:29 PM

I don't have a good suggestion as far as regaining motivation to search for a job, but I sure do believe that seeing a counselor would be helpful.

I agree with you about the possibility that your parents might not be aware of today's job market. My children are in their early 30's and what they have to go through to apply and secure jobs is astounding to me. The job market is a different world than it was even 10 years ago - and a different universe than it was decades ago.

I'm 57, my husband is 73. There are times when he absolutely doesn't understand certain realities about the contemporary world. He can't help but think in terms of "I want to write that company a letter and complain about..." (emailing the company would be a better idea). He's out of touch with the cost of just about everything, and that we are such a throw-away society. He cannot understand why someone would buy a new TV, rather than "repairing the old TV."

Sometimes when he forgets that we're in the year 2020 I want to scream, yell, and argue with him. But that has never helped either of us. So what I've taught myself to do is either gently point out that "nowadays, if people want to communicate with a company they email." Or I just say, "Yeah, uh-huh...sounds like a good idea." And change the subject. It's usually hard to drop my need to be right, but it sure is less stressful than an argument that goes nowhere.

It sounds like your parents are invested in proving to you that they know better and that their way is the right way? Okay, fine...give them the respect of letting them know that their opinions and experience are valid, take what you need from their ideas, and do what you know you need to do to stay on track.

Just some thoughts.

I hope someone replies to your thread that has some more specific ideas about job hunting.

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
RoxanneToto

Thanks for this!
DazedandConfused254, RoxanneToto