Grand Member

Member Since Nov 2019
31 hugs
given
Default Sep 11, 2020 at 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daonnachd View Post
@FluffyDinosaur

The memory holes are a curious thing. I've been getting ECT since 2015 and have some serious holes but have also had some interesting recoveries. For example, my wife and I were in conversation with another bicyclist when she (my wife) mentioned my having hit a dog on my bike. Now, my memory loss is a big stressor for her so I just acted like I remembered the experience, though I did not. However, the comment identified a hole for me and I began to obsess over the details I had lost. During our hour-long drive home, while my whole family was engaged with cell phones I was trying to recall anything I could about the dog accident. All of a sudden, I had a breakthrough. I could remember the dog running out in front of me, my reaction, and the conclusion. So I think given a bit of a framework we can rebuild some of the memories that by themselves are lost.

All this to say don't be too nervous about memory loss. The brain is plastic and can surprise us by adapting when we don't expect it.

Yeah, I'm trying to imagine what it will be like but I'm not sure I can. It seems like a pretty bizarre experience. It's promising to know that it's possible to recover most memories. One thing I would be kind of afraid of is that I might develop false memories, where people suggest a past event to me and my mind just fills in the blanks, and I can't tell whether it's a real memory or not. Have you ever experienced anything like that and found out about it because your memories mismatched with someone else's?
FluffyDinosaur is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote