View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 15, 2020 at 10:59 AM

Great and thorough descriptions that I can definitely relate to.

For me, the medications that gave me the "hangover" worst were Klonopin and Seroquel (and Seroquel XR). I had demanded that my Klonopin dose be lowered from 2 mg per day to 0.5 mg, about 8 years ago. That helped. Unfortunately, I was never taken off of it so it's useless, I think. My psychiatrist keeps me on only to avoid withdrawal issues.

It took me a long time to adjust to Seroquel's sedating effects. I forget how long, but I doubt I would have held out (had patience) if I wasn't on disability. But now I have no "hangover" at all from 700 mg per day, as long as I take my evening Seroquel XR early (7 pm or latest 9 pm) and fall asleep at a good time. If I am awake at 2 am or later, I will get the "hangover" even nowadays. Proper routine is crucial for me. I generally get 7 hours of restful sleep with no major sedation before/after.

Nowadays, 50 mg Seroquel or Seroquel XR taken in the morning does not tire me. It curbs agitation and maybe gives me a very level feeling (smoooooth jazz) but that's all. Pleasant, unless my energy levels dip because of mood issues vs. medications. Then the morning dose is lowered or discontinued. My evening dose goes up and down, too, occasionally.

As a side note, I sometimes think that my past Seroquel "hangovers" were significant causes of any added hunger I experienced. I can't speak for anyone besides myself, but when I am tired/listless I always think more food/fuel will get me out of it, but often it does not, and yet my reasoning didn't help curb the desire. Once I managed to triumph over the hangover tendency, the excess hunger was curbed. I believe Seroquel XR is much friendlier for me than regular Seroquel. In layman's terms, the "spike" in sedation is lower and the plateau is longer. Having grown accustomed to that so-called plateau, I have managed to get past the initial negatives of the medication. Right now, my 700 mg Seroquel XR seems weight neutral. At times, even lower doses weren't. Adjustment. But I realize that we don't all adjust to medications the same.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
xRavenx

Thanks for this!
xRavenx