catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 15, 2020 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightly toasted View Post
I was a hardcore vegan for the animals - eco warrior for 10 years. before hitting burnout. It wasn't just the food, I wore or purchased no leather or wool, and only used cruelty-free toiletries and cosmetics. I was taking my own grocery bags to the store when no one else was - at least not where I lived.

My physical health was fine , however, in hindsight it was all a bit crazy-making.

Back in the day, and this still exists today, there is a lot of pressure on ethical vegans to be good representatives for the cause. This means remaining thin. Although the animals don't really give a toss if you're fat or thin, just that you're not eating them. There remains a lot of fat phobia within the vegan movement also lot of omnivores would just not take a fat vegan or vegetarian seriously So it it was often preached especially by the strictly vegan for health types, that we were doing a disservice to the animals if we allowed ourselves to get fat. Despite having gone vegan for the animals it was pretty easy for this little bipolar person, to get caught up in a lot of disordered eating practices in order to appear the "good vegan" ...not too thin, not too fat. For years I was caught in exercise bullimia and a never ending restrict/ binge cycle.

Going vegan for animals is great, but doing it for "health reasons" or in other words chasing thin and getting sucked into that healthism/diet culture aspect can be dangerous territory for people with mental illness and a history or disordered eating. And many vegans who are in it strictly for the animals can get sucked into this aspect as well.

Same with the eco-warrior approach, this can quickly become a crazy-making, obsessed/religiousity for those of us with mental health issues - it did for me.

TL;DR ... in my experience, folks with mental illness should tread very carefully when restricting what they eat, regardless of the reasons behind it.
Great post and it is wisely based upon experience. The reasons you have illustrated are exactly why I don't "advertise" being vegetarian. I am overweight from psych meds, even though the food I eat is very healthy, and I do not overeat. The meds have just really screwed with my metabolism. When I was initially veg. I was thin, but I'd always been thin. That cult-like movement that disguises eating disorders gets very weird. Lots of denial.

I'm vegetarian (with the very, very rare exception) because it genuinely bothers me to eat animals. I also have a crap family history of cardiac disease and stroke, which scares the heck out of me. But I don't talk with people about being vegetarian. It's very personal, to me. I'm not a club member, card carrying veg.

Last edited by *Beth*; Sep 15, 2020 at 05:56 PM..
*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist, lightly toasted, Soupe du jour

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist, Nammu