Toughcooki

Member Since Jul 2020
247 hugs
given
Default Sep 21, 2020 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca1938 View Post
Hi there!
Were you asking me this? I’m ok but basically what I do is lay low. My daughter is 21 and hopefully moving out in November. Everything goes fine until you challenge her about something. If I do challenge her, it can escalate to the point she’s calling me unspeakable names and then after she never apologizes. She just ignores you until enough time passes you gradually start speaking again. I’m convinced she’s got a personality disorder that doesn’t allow her to accept being challenged so she manipulates every scenario to make it suit her.
One example of her (I think) refusing to accept responsibility and gaslighting and laying the blame elsewhere was the other night. I put the toaster oven on to make a pizza. When it beeped ready I opened the door and a plume of smoke came out. My daughter had made onion rings and left them in there. When she appeared a few minutes later, I said to her - you left those in the oven and smoke came out. She started by saying she had put the onion rings back in to cook for longer to which I replied- yeah but don’t walk away and leave them in there. Well, her reply raised my blood pressure so fast. She said - you should check the oven before you switch it on, effectively shifting blame. Luckily this diffused quickly because as I wrote on here the last argument over her telling me to wash a pot for her ended with her throwing me cheating on her father (there’s a story I’m not going into here) and calling me a wh**e. It’s kinda funny to me how she thinks I’m a wh**e when she’s mad at me but happy to live with me for free. If she hates me that much why is she living here? The truth is if I make her mad she brings out the most hurtful words she can. It never fails. So yeah I just don’t get in any conflicts with her and wait until she moves out. I definitely don’t have a normal relationship with her because I don’t think she loves me. And my feelings for her have become very guarded because Ive been hurt so often.
How are you doing?
Oh, I'm OK - it's hard bc it feels like I'm mourning a death, when she's alive but just hates me, lol. We have no contact, bc I am not willing to sit still for abuse, and she's not willing to change her behavior. Sad.
I hope she is able to move out in November, and get some help to resolve her anger issues. She seems to not know how to express her feelings directly, and goes straight to verbal attacks and name-calling, instead of dealing with things that are bothering her, to resolve them. Hopefully she'll grow out of that over time, and things will get better. All the best to you!!
Toughcooki is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Kitto, rebecca1938

Thanks for this!
rebecca1938