seesaw
Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,263 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 23, 2020 at 06:48 PM

Hi WovenGalaxy,

I don't want to invalidate you. I can see that you are a modest person and don't see the contribution that you made as being that significant. But I have worked for years in nonprofits and getting people to help me stuff envelopes or bags or whatever is SO hard, and I spent hours doing it. I know it seems like basic work and not like a big help, but it REALLY is. So I suspect she was being quite genuine that she appreciated your help and wanted you to feel appreciated.

Of course, I wasn't there, so I don't know. I'm just giving you my perspective when I worked with volunteers.

I don't think a big apology is necessary, but maybe you might tell her that you didn't expect such a big show of appreciation and you're kind of a shy person (not sure if this is totally accurate), and that you appreciate all the nice things she said. And leave it at that.

And it's okay, a lot of people don't like being publicly acknowledged as it makes them uncomfortable. It's not uncommon, so you are not alone in that being called out, even positively, made you uncomfortable.

And, maybe she did have a few drinks because nonprofit staff work their butts off too and barely get to unwind, lol. I don't think she would have been making fun or anything like that though. Volunteers are too valuable to make fun of.

Just take a deep breath. It will all be alright. I'm sure they just really appreciate what you do for them and wanted you to know it.

I hope this helps.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Bill3, Open Eyes, RoxanneToto, unaluna, WovenGalaxy