Member Since Sep 2019
4,842 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 23, 2020 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
Hi WovenGalaxy,

I don't want to invalidate you. I can see that you are a modest person and don't see the contribution that you made as being that significant. But I have worked for years in nonprofits and getting people to help me stuff envelopes or bags or whatever is SO hard, and I spent hours doing it. I know it seems like basic work and not like a big help, but it REALLY is. So I suspect she was being quite genuine that she appreciated your help and wanted you to feel appreciated.

Of course, I wasn't there, so I don't know. I'm just giving you my perspective when I worked with volunteers.

I don't think a big apology is necessary, but maybe you might tell her that you didn't expect such a big show of appreciation and you're kind of a shy person (not sure if this is totally accurate), and that you appreciate all the nice things she said. And leave it at that.

And it's okay, a lot of people don't like being publicly acknowledged as it makes them uncomfortable. It's not uncommon, so you are not alone in that being called out, even positively, made you uncomfortable.

And, maybe she did have a few drinks because nonprofit staff work their butts off too and barely get to unwind, lol. I don't think she would have been making fun or anything like that though. Volunteers are too valuable to make fun of.

Just take a deep breath. It will all be alright. I'm sure they just really appreciate what you do for them and wanted you to know it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for this. I suspected my thoughts were out of alignment and false, I was just so uncomfortable there. I hope I was not as rude as I felt. But yes, I will likely say something to her. That IS accurate, btw, that I'm shy. And it was nice of her to say what she said.
WovenGalaxy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Bill3, RoxanneToto, seesaw

Thanks for this!
seesaw, unaluna