Magnate

Member Since Oct 2018
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 24, 2020 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonesomeTonight View Post
May write more later, but today I basically sobbed about how difficult virtual learning has been for my daughter. Like I started crying about 1 minute into session and cried off and on throughout. For some reason, I apologized a couple times for crying, then was like, "I don't know why I'm apologizing." T was very empathetic and said how he felt like they were expecting too much out of his son as well (he's in the same school system, but in middle school vs. my D in elementary school). And that made me feel better, plus his saying that other parents he'd talked to also felt like they were expecting too much. Like they're expecting to do the same amount of teaching now as in a regular, in-person school year. When maybe that's not realistic.

Also talked some about my feeling, as Dr. T put it, "smothered" right now, being in the house with D and my husband pretty much all the time. He suggested I find ways to get out for a bit a few days a week, saying, "doctor's orders!" I said how I worried that stuff with Covid would never really go away. He said he wished he had something he could tell me to make me feel better. I said how I knew he didn't have a crystal ball. He said how people aren't built to handle something going on this long. And it feels like he's really struggling with it, too. He didn't have any magic answers for me. But the empathy really helped. And also just getting out all that I was feeling, the sadness and frustration.

I may write up other recent sessions in more detail, as I have time.
About the school thing . . . Since your daughter is served under special education, you have the right to call an IEP meeting and have her accommodations and modifications reviewed in light of virtual learning. Schools really do want to get this right, but everything is so abnormal right now and we're feeling our way through things ourselves. We feel like a dog chasing its tail most of the time. Call, ask for an IEP meeting. They need to come up with a reasonable plan that will work under the circumstances.

The state education agencies aren't giving us much leeway on educational goals right now. The powers that be seem to think we should have the same educational goals and expectations as we do in person. It's coming from those bureaucrats who are almost never educators. It's a mess.

Make the phone call. Get the meeting set. They can change her plan to make it more workable. Be the squeaky wheel.

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, Polibeth, unaluna