View Single Post
quietlylost

Member Since Mar 2020
1 hugs
given
Default Sep 28, 2020 at 06:50 AM

It's a great question to ask your doctor. Research has shown that people with ADHD can have higher rates of substance use disorders but that once treated (even with medication) the rates of substance use can actually decrease. There are both stimulant and non-stimulant medications for ADHD. It would be worth a conversation with your provider.

I had been very skeptical of ADHD in the past, even thinking it was a bogus diagnosis except in extreme cases. However, I was diagnosed with it as an adult and I can tell you it's like seeing the world with glasses. Medication for it has helped so much, so has taking the time to learn about the diagnosis, learn ways to manage some of the challenges, and connecting with a community of people who also deal with ADHD.

Bottom line, it's worth talking with your provider about. At least getting more information and looking into the symptoms to see if you think the diagnosis makes sense. There are also non-medication treatments for ADHD including CBT and coaching.
quietlylost is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
MuddyBoots, RoxanneToto