sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
Default Sep 28, 2020 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien View Post
My therapist brought it up at one point last year that she thinks I have it, and so have a bunch of friends and family members. Only I have substance use issues and am prone to mania so I couldn't go on any stimulants, so is there a point in asking my pdoc if I have it?
I am not a doctor so this is just mu opinion. Like someone above said there is a much higher rate of substance use disorder in people with adhd. But the evidence is overwhelming that medications are a first line treatment for adhd. I know there are risks of mania with stimulant treatment and other conditions like bipolar but IME as long as you are closely monitored in the beginning you can look out for those types of feelings and possibilities. In fact treating adhd with medication-particularly stimulants- as been shown to reduce substance abuse issues and avoid relapse. But I know that people that have had issues with amphetamines in their past can sometimes have a hard time with that risk. I just do not want you to discount them as a possibility. Obviously your doc is the best one to give you advice on this I just wanted to share my experience.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote