Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 02, 2020 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieTheSequal View Post
Hugs, Elio. I'm so sorry you're going through that. Insurance can really suck. L doesn't work with any insurance companies so I've been paying out of pocket for most of the time I've seen her. The first year before I changed jobs, I was submitting to insurance and getting reimbursed some, but my current job/insurance our out of network deductible is ridiculously high so i'd never meet it. I hope you are able to work something out that is comfortable for you.

Also sending hugs, Elio. I was also going to suggest what Artie said, as that's what I do--pay up front, then submit to insurance to get partial reimbursement (which is a pain, and they keep holding things up on their end for assorted reasons).

Also, you may be able to see this in your paperwork or you may have to ask your T--but find out how much she *actually* gets paid by your insurance per session. I doubt it's the same as her listed rate. No idea if that would be affordable.

And I know you said you'd feel bad taking a reduced rate. I felt that way at first, but when my insurance changed how much they were willing to reimburse, I negotiated a slightly lower rate with him. And then a temporary lower one so that I could stay at 3x a week for another couple months. I felt bad about it, but he said only half of his clients pay his full rate. And said that's how many T's who don't take insurance structure their practice--they plan to have some paying a lower rate.

Even if you wouldn't feel comfortable paying a reduced rate longer-term, maybe you could negotiate something where you have a lower rate for, say, a couple months so you can still keep going at the same frequency, then gradually work down to twice a week.

And I also feel guilty for the amount I spend on therapy, but my H said he just considers it part of our regular, set expenses, that it's part of healthcare. I hope you can work something out.

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
Elio, Quietmind 2