View Single Post
Samantics

Member Since Oct 2020
Default Oct 09, 2020 at 10:30 PM

I think I might know how you feel! In my experience, I am constantly reacting to things my partner says and does as if they were much darker and more ominous than they are. I'm always reading negative interpretations into things like facial expressions, minor decisions, etc., and then totally overreacting.

I think later about my reactions and realize that they were the reactions of a (seemingly) different person, one who believes the world is way worse and more predatory than it actually is.

The problem, of course, is that my negative reactions are triggered automatically. Warzone is a good word for it. It's like a minefield where you know there are mines, you're just not sure when someone's going to step on one.

I have found that taking advantage of a calm period to sit down and explain the PTSD and its related issues to my partner has helped us navigate the warzone. If we can cut through the "fog of war" so to speak, we can restore lines of clear and frank communication, and help each other to avoid the land mines by placing little danger signs around the ones we know are there. That's how I think about it.

Obviously this isn't a perfect cure for recurring relationship issues resulting from PTSD. Many of the triggers for negative behaviours / distorted thinking etc. are either completely automatic or are so overwhelming they might as well be. But I have learned to trust in the power of honest and clear communication with my partner.

We wouldn't still have a relationship at all if it weren't for that. I don't think we can stop the war in our heads over night, but we can start signing treaties and making plans for peace... make things more and more manageable as we go, one issue at a time.

These days my partner knows there's a war going on, which means she can help me win it. That's another way of thinking about it that I find helpful. The more she knows and truly understands, and importantly, the more sure she is that I'm committed to winning it, the better our chances are in the long run.

I hope that made some sense! I'm sorry that all I can offer is my own personal experience.

I sincerely wish you the best. Feel free to let me know if you want me to be more specific about anything. I tend to get carried away with metaphors.
Samantics is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
RoxanneToto

Thanks for this!
guy1111, RoxanneToto