View Single Post
Snap66

Member Since Nov 2011
3 hugs
given
Default Oct 11, 2020 at 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
I understand, people who lack awareness of their own impact on their circumstances/situations are very challenging to interact with. What I try to remember is that there is something, whether it's a disorder or cognitive distortion or simple lack of emotional development, that's behind it. In many instances there is a narcissistic injury behind that behavior, where the person's identity is SO dependent upon their ability to be right about things, to be wrong or to have agency in a matter would actually cause them to destabilize.

I honestly don't think it's intentional that some people do this; I really think it's a protective mechanism, and it's very hard to change. Often, people who are like this, their identity is so dependent on outside factors and outside/external assessments, that any criticism or inkling that they had some responsibility in their situation threatens their identity. They aren't strong enough to be wrong (so to speak as it's not about right or wrong) and believe they are a good person even though they made a mistake. There seems to be an internal value judgment that if they've made a mistake then they are at fault or a bad person versus simply that there is not good or bad to it: they made a mistake and there was a result. It simply is what it is, but not good or bad.

So when presented with people who constantly blame others, I try to have empathy for why they behave this way, and I also limit my contact with them because they can be difficult to interact with as well. But I've definitely met people who behaved like this at one point, realized they were doing it, and were able to change their behavior. It's not an impossible thought process to change.

What an amazing detailed response seesaw!
...and thanks to all the above who have helped to get me closer to my answer.

Its completely different to AvPD so when a person reacts or comments in a polar opposite it really confuses me.
While I will never see them in a positive light (sorry) bc their still lying, blaming never taking responsibility for ones actions, the above responses do help me immensely in understanding the background, or where their actions/reactions stem from.

It’s never alright. It comes and it goes.
It’s always around, even when it don’t show.
They say it gets better. well I guess that it might.
But even when it’s better, it’s never alright.
Snap66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Open Eyes, RoxanneToto

Thanks for this!
MsLady