seesaw
Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,276 hugs
given
Default Oct 11, 2020 at 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap66 View Post
What an amazing detailed response seesaw!
...and thanks to all the above who have helped to get me closer to my answer.

Its completely different to AvPD so when a person reacts or comments in a polar opposite it really confuses me.
While I will never see them in a positive light (sorry) bc their still lying, blaming never taking responsibility for ones actions, the above responses do help me immensely in understanding the background, or where their actions/reactions stem from.
I know what you mean that you perceive it as lying but for them it occurs as their truth, which is important to remember when interacting with people who are not ready for this kind of change yet. My point is that no matter how much you argue, even though you and I would see their actions as contributing to a situation, they cannot possibly see that, because their experience of it is that reality is entirely that they have no role. One way of looking at this is that they are always "at effect" of everything around them rather than being "cause in the matter." But because their identity is so dependent upon being right, they can never be more than "at effect."

It's okay that you can't see someone in this stage in a positive light. The good thing is that you have identified that, for you, this kind of person bothers you, and it's probably best to limit contact or steer clear. I admit that in my roles in peer support and advocacy it's a big challenge for me too. Sometimes I'm in the frame of mind to handle someone like this, but often I'm not as it requires a great deal of patience.

Hugs.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Bill3, Open Eyes, RoxanneToto, Snap66, WovenGalaxy