View Single Post
Elio

Member Since Sep 2006
8,779 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 13, 2020 at 08:28 AM

Space and objects matter to me a great deal. My T has moved a few times in the 5 yrs I've been seeing her. It has been hard for every one of them except one.

It is totally understandable that this is throwing you. It's hard to lose something and in this year of so much loss of "normalcy", to lose one's safe spot is a big blow and without you being able to say good bye. If he has not moved yet, could you ask him if you could do a quick drop by of the space or even maybe a longer one. One thing I did when my T was moving from the clinic to private practice was walk with her through the entire arrival and leaving ritual/routine I had. It felt good to share that with her, maybe it was sharing with her the importance of therapy in my live and not just the hour with her that was meaningful so that perhaps she'd have a better understanding of loss I was feeling. I'm not sure.

If he is not open to seeing you in person but has yet to move out, perhaps he could take a video or pictures of his office. I know right now it is painful. I have taken pictures of T's old offices or objects in them. They brought me comfort at the time. I even fantasized about putting one of the pictures in a frame and hanging it in her new office.

If he has already moved, can he share a video/pictures of the new space so that you can start to think about and visualize that space rather than sitting in another spot of uncertainty.

You will be able to create a new routine in the new space when you are able to see him in person again. It won't be the same and it might never have that same exact feeling of safety. In the many moves I've done with T, there have been some goods and bads. One of the goods is having her there to create that bubble that helps shut out the rest of the world and make it be our time and a safe time/space. I hope you'll be able to find that peace with the new office and location.
Elio is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Merope, SlumberKitty