View Single Post
quietlylost

Member Since Mar 2020
1 hugs
given
Default Oct 20, 2020 at 06:53 AM

For me, I've always found making a pro/con list or a decisional analysis box (benefits of changing, benefits of not changing, cons of changing, cons of not changing) help me in cases where I'm having trouble deciding or reconciling a choice.

I can understand the fear you have of not making the right choice. But, as my therapist says, we can never truly know what will happen and once we finally make a choice we'll never know the other side. And, when we think back to all the worst case scenarios we thought of in the past and the "what ifs," how many of those actually happened? We tend to psych ourselves out a lot with worry thoughts, and it can immobilize us. Other people have also said that you don't want "perfection" to be the enemy of progress or "good/better/good enough." If making a choice could make your life a little better, or even just offer you more information on what really matters to you and what you'd like to do in the future, then maybe it's worth it.

The other thing is that you can always change your mind or do something different. You do risk losing time, but so long as you're alive you can still make choices and try different things. Even if you find the perfect fit and perfect job or career, that may change eventually. We all grow and develop over the course of our life. What makes us happy now may not make us happy a week or a decade from now. Be kind to yourself and acknowledge that you'll never have all the answers and you'll never know all the outcomes. There is no crystal ball, and there is no certainty even when we think there is.

What would make you more happy than you are now? What are the benefits of taking these steps? What are your worst fears? What are some ways you can challenge those fears or prepare for pitfalls? What really matters to you, and how can these changes or choices help you live those values or achieve that satisfaction?

Whatever you decide, good luck. Big decisions are scary, but they can also open doors we never imagined.
quietlylost is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
WovenGalaxy

Thanks for this!
RoxanneToto, WovenGalaxy