View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 21, 2020 at 08:35 AM

Before my official bipolar disorder diagnosis, I was prescribed Lexapro (by itself) by a psychiatrist. I think I took it between 4 to 8 weeks (I forget exactly) then I started to get manic. That was observed by that particular psychiatrist who then diagnosed me correctly. He took me off Lexapro immediately and wanted to switch me to a moodstabilizer, but I basically told him to take a hike. Frankly, I didn't even know what manic depression (as he called it) or bipolar disorder was at that time. Less than a year later, I was hospitalized for the first time. That was about 14 years ago.

I suppose if a person truly has bipolar disorder, it may be quite risky to take Lexapro alone. Perhaps if taken with a moodstabilizer and/or antipsychotic, it may be helpful for some. I can say that since then, every antidepressant I took (even along with both a moodstabilizer and antipsychotic) was destabilizing. So, antidepressants were totally eliminated from my cocktails as of about eight to nine years ago. However, I know that some with bipolar disorder (both type 1 and 2) find benefit from them if, taken with a moodstabilizer and/or antipsychotic. Alone? I would be curious why a psychiatrist would do that if a bipolar diagnosis was given.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*