View Single Post
LainieLou

Member Since Oct 2020
Default Oct 21, 2020 at 01:31 PM

For those who are interested...there is an excellent book about trauma and PTSD called "The Body Keeps the Score". The author is a doctor named Bessel Vanderkolk who is the reason we have ACE trauma testing and a realization that any trauma can lead to PTSD, not just military experiences. It is pretty comprehensive and weighty, but the information is invaluable in regards to understand how your brain is shaped/rewired by trauma and...the golden ticket...ways to address it.

Full disclosure, some people might find some of the content triggering. For myself, it was a therapist who recommended the book to me and I wasn't prepared for how just the knowledge unlocked really powerful parts of my past experiences for me. So just know that we are all different and if you find that the book is describing aspects of yourself, personality, unwanted behaviors, etc...it could be jarring. But I found it worthwhile. The last section of the book is devoted to the different treatments and therapies, how they work and operate, etc. There is no one gold start treatment (well, maybe EMDR!) as we are all different and respond accordingly.

I also found it easier for me to digest and retain all of the information listening to the audibook. While I am comfortable reading technical or complex stuff...this was a lot to take in as a reader and as someone who lives the experience if that makes sense. So I switched to the audiobook and felt like I was able to really take it in without having to keep going back to certain key points.
LainieLou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear