View Single Post
HarperF

Member Since Oct 2020
7 hugs
given
Default Oct 23, 2020 at 09:14 AM

Hi PCF,

I'm a MA-level clinical psychologist in training going under counseling (unrelated to my training).

We have a most peculiar kind of alliance rupture I can't put my fingers on. Perhaps this is quite simple and I just can't see the forest for the trees.

I've been in this private, self-funded therapy with my integrative therapist for about 100ish hours. We have an excellent rapport, excellent relationship. There is a sense of some shared interests (psychology, sports). I sense there is a deep and caring atmosphere for me, and I actually do care for my therapist. T couldn't take my caring well initially, but grew accustomed to.

During our last session T burst out in tears that therapy has to be done the correct way, and for T it looked like we're just talking like friends. I mentioned, I still have a great sense of development and movement in my life. I'm getting closer therapeutic goals. T couldn't accept me being content on the grounds that during the last couple of sessions we weren't professional enough.

It looks like as if professional conduct and my experience of helpful sessions are in conflict.

Shedding some tears T mentions the need of not being transparent and that boundaries weren't invented just for nothing. T kept referring to professional conduct. I was at loss for words, I couldn't reply with anything to comfort T. On my account, there weren't any boundaries violated. Or was it me, who violated, when I replied empathically to a T self-disclosure? Somehow this I doubt. There were a couple of boundary crossings though, so I can understand where T is coming from regarding not having completely sanitized sessions.

From my standpoint, this looks like a weird case of therapeutic rupture, where the break is coming from the expectations of the therapist instead of the client. I wonder how to continue? T emphasized how it's bad that we're talking like friends. T really wants to do a good job, but talking like friends is a no-no. It just occurred to me, T might think of me as a friend? Would it be the right thing for me to end the counselling sessions?

I can let go of me visiting T in the office, but it would be devastating letting go of the relationship. It is a great source of comfort and a powerful incentive of development.

I appreciate your thoughts.
HarperF is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, chihirochild, Fuzzybear, LonesomeTonight, precaryous, SalingerEsme, SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
Quietmind 2, SalingerEsme