View Single Post
Revu2
Grand Member

Member Since Aug 2013
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 24, 2020 at 02:46 AM

Busy today with housework: dishes & laundry mostly. Took a nap and awoke with much energy.

Ah, time. Reading through some old pre-covid free newspapers. The paper itself is now all online and immediately let go of much of its staff when they saw the closing of restaurants, bars, and theaters announced.

Anyway, one issue. I have several long music pieces to research.

While reading a book of article on food from 2015 I come across references which need research as well. All part of my education.

Helen Hanff has a great story about her self-guided college education based on close reading and follow-on research of Arthur Quiller-Couch's On the Art of Writing.
Quote:
In the first chapter of On The Art of Writing he threw so many marvellous quotes at me – from Walton’s Angler, Newman’s Idea of a University, and Milton’s Paradise Lost – that I rushed back to the library and brought home all three, determined to read them all before going on to Q’s second lecture. Which would have been perfectly possible if I hadn’t included Paradise Lost. In Paradise Lost I ran into Satan, Lucifer, the Infernal Serpent, and a Fiend, all of whom seemed to be lurking around the Garden of Eden and none of whom my teachers at Rodeph Shalom Sunday School had ever mentioned to me. I consulted my Confirmation Bible, but I couldn’t find Milton’s fearsome personages in Genesis. I concluded that Lucifer and the Fiend weren’t Jewish and I would have to look in the New Testament for them, and since this was an entirely new book to me, Q had to wait while I read that one, too.
Yup, off I wander on a Hanff tour of music.
Revu2

Revu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote