Oliviab

Member Since Apr 2016
89 hugs
given
Default Oct 25, 2020 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperF View Post
Y
For me, T's disclosures were big of help, because I could clearly see what comes from who in the relationship. T is certainly not an ideal neutral surface that I could project to.

On the ruptures - there is a considerable chunk of literature on alliance ruptures coming from the client, but I haven't found anything that would cover ruptures caused by the therapist.
My T self-discloses a fair amount with me, too, and we talk about why this is. The disclosures are helpful; I have no interest in a blank-slate therapist.

I personally do not love how the literature talks about ruptures, as if they are something that "comes from" the client. That's not how I see it. The rupture is in the relationship and the relationships is between two people (not belonging to either), it is co-created, and each person brings things to it. When we have ruptures, my T and both talk about how we each contributed to the dynamic at play. We, of course, spend more time talking about my stuff, because it is my therapy, but he owns his part in things.
Oliviab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, ArtieTheSequal, Brown Owl 2, HarperF, LonesomeTonight, Quietmind 2