View Single Post
Oliviab

Member Since Apr 2016
89 hugs
given
Default Oct 25, 2020 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperF View Post
Perhaps I wasn't careful enough with my wording, but I didn't intend to make it sound like it's the client's fault. It's just the therapist doesn't have such an empathic/relational depth to have foresight into what an interaction might mean for the client. I think it makes sense this way...and I would really love to repair this rupture, because I do care for T as both a person and a professional, but there's no such literature that would give any tools - or recommend intervention - from the client's part.
Regarding ruptures, I thought you were clear/careful in your wording and I didn't get the impression that you think it's all the clients' fault. I just think the literature--especially the psychoanalytic approach and the concept of transference--treat it as such. I was sharing (what I think is) some mutual frustration with you over that fact, and over the lack of literature about how Ts contribute to ruptures. I do see you taking on a lot of responsibility for repairing this rupture--I hope your T is taking on a lot of the responsibility as well. The two of you could do some really good work around this. And I hear you on wanting to end well, not just for the corrective experience, but to avoid future awkwardness in a small community. Good luck with this--I hope you'll keep us informed.
Oliviab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
HarperF

Thanks for this!
Brown Owl 2, HarperF, Quietmind 2, susannahsays