View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 25, 2020 at 12:40 PM

I think both, but it takes a lot more work to develop talent without any natural tendency.

I've discovered talents, later in age, that I didn't seem to have when I was younger. I attribute some of that to life experiences, and obviously practice has been crucial. A change in my mentality over the years has also played a part. This is somewhat related to the life experiences. For example, I always thought I sucked at flower arranging, but when I became able to really give it the time and thought it needed, I found that I was quite good at it. It was certainly not a hobby for the old perpetually hypomanic/manic me.

When I was in high school, I attempted to take a creative writing class. I lasted only three lessons before I transferred to something else. I had a similar experience when, writing for the school's newspaper, the teacher asked that I write a creative piece about a sculpture on campus. I attempted, but became frustrated and asked to write about something else. Then, about 35 years later, I tried my hand at creative writing again, and found multiple inspirations. I was a much different person at that stage of my life (and now), then as a teen.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote