Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,640 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 25, 2020 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLady View Post
I think it's why our relationship suffers.. is that I'm now addressing these issues and exposing him to himself. He gets upset, so he seeks out his family and friends to counteract how I've made him feel by feeding them stories for sympathies.

It's sad because I feel like I'm looking at him as an outsider now, and seeing these patterns play out. It's hard to get past it, even if I'm misreading a particular scenario, I'm unable to see him how I used to.. and it's killing him. Poor guy.
I wouldn't feel sorry for someone who is repeatedly mistreating you. You can feel sorry that he hasn't learned what true love, partnership and respect entail. That's what is to feel sorry for. He doesn't know any better and therefore, has to learn... or not learn. That's what's sad about it. Clearly his upbringing did not teach him this. Same with my husband.

And yes, it's good you are standing up and are exposing his behaviors. Either he deals with it and steps up to the plate, or not.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote