View Single Post
HarperF

Member Since Oct 2020
7 hugs
given
Default Oct 25, 2020 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omers View Post
IMO your T should have taken their emotions and reactions to supervision... that is excellent fodder for supervision.
My T and I have an extremely strong relationship that does often feel like a very close friendship... except that it is confined to set therapeutic times, places and boundaries. We don’t go off meeting in coffe houses or visiting each others homes.
With the exception of boundaries - at least on my T's account - this could be said of our relationship as well. But it looks like the very close friendship part started bothering my therapist.

Quote:
We have a lot of common interests and we often share about them. I know a great deal of his family, hobbies and life outside the office. All of this has furthered my healing without a doubt.
This is pretty relieving to read. I really do feel the same. But looks like this is a sign of unprofessional conduct on account of my T, and was the reason of T's collapse during our last session.

Quote:
Some clients need their T to be a Dr in a lab coat that prescribes interventions to fix their emotional state. I need a relational human being that has set this time aside to join with me, sometimes guiding me, on this journey towards greater wholeness.
Being from an Eastern European country, I really do wonder if T has ever heard of Stephen Mitchell. Our newest textbook on psychotherapies, pressed in 2009 still has majority of its conceptual roots of papers from the 1980s. Of the newer textbooks we only have some Gabbard and Fonagy translated. Maybe Daniel N Stern does count? Having The Interpersonal World of the Infant translated was quite a big deal couple of years ago.

We don't even have an official name in our language for relational psychotherapy. About 90% of the things I read I have to do it in English.

Quote:
Keeping with the journey theme it is like going on a long hike up a mountain... sometimes the trail is rough and you focus only on continuing up the mountain. Sometimes the ruggedness opens into a beautiful meadow with a cool breeze and you chat, perhaps pausing a moment to enjoy that spot on the journey... but you are still on the trail, still climbing the mountain. To say that such a beautiful rapport between therapist and client is unboundaried or detrimental is garbage.
My T often reminds me that the therapy is the relationship.
It's a pretty exciting endeavor indeed! This time I'm more puzzled than emotionally affected by my current situation. I mean we're in a close enough relationship with T for me to believe that we can work this through. Either by continuing or closing the therapy. I'm open to either end.

And yes. Our rapport is definitely not unboundaried. I think where we go wrong is that when T does a self-disclosure T doesn't trust it's for my use. T starts self-doubting. Then makes up for it by giving extra time during the session. This T disclosed last sitting. I probably left off some details, as T was pretty vague regarding the time issue - mentioned the connection between the two, but also told, this slip with keeping time must be telling about something!
HarperF is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight, Omers

Thanks for this!
Quietmind 2